What is Elimination Communication?

Elimination Communication (EC) is an ancient practice of tuning in to a baby's elimination patterns and signals and responding to the baby's needs.  In this way, babies can live diaper-free!  Might sound crazy at first, but it's truly a beautiful thing!  Ingrid Bauer is an expert in the field - read more on her website.


Elie at 8 weeks

Elie at 8 weeks

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Outdoor Nakedness and Signaling

We just went to Union Market. Elie was asleep in my mei tei on the walk over and woke up just as I was about to go in. I took him out to pee him and found that he was only wearing a shirt! I've been wearing him naked or at least diaper-free at home and hadn't even thought to check before going out :) Not such a big deal while out, I guess, but it would have been embarrassing to have a miss in the grocery store since the pee would have likely dribbled to the floor without undies on.

Speaking of misses, though, I only had one miss today and that was first thing in the morning when we were lying in bed, me dreaming of being asleep LOL. I think we have the signaling down pretty well now. Elie has been consistently blowing raspberries (or at least doing something similar to the pssshhh sound that I make - I'm still not really sure what it means to blow raspberries, but I think that's what he's doing based on other EC posts I've seen). He also makes a noise (feels like an "aahhhh"-type noise - relief) AS he's peeing. Which isn't so helpful in getting the pee in the potty except when I miss the original signal and then if I hear the during-pee signal, I can say, "Wait" and move him to the potty to finish.

No comments: