What is Elimination Communication?

Elimination Communication (EC) is an ancient practice of tuning in to a baby's elimination patterns and signals and responding to the baby's needs.  In this way, babies can live diaper-free!  Might sound crazy at first, but it's truly a beautiful thing!  Ingrid Bauer is an expert in the field - read more on her website.


Elie at 8 weeks

Elie at 8 weeks

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Verbal and Facial signals

We had an amazing EC day today. We went to Lee & Jen's house in Greenwich for Jeremy's aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary. So Elie was in the carrier more than normal, but we only had one miss and that was with Jeremy first thing in the morning. At one point today, I said to Elie, "Do you have to go potty?" and he smiled at me and made his little psshh sound! And he went right away when I took him! I did that again for the rest of the times today that I sensed he had to pee and got the same response!! It's so amazing to me that he can understand what I'm saying and verbalize a response to me at his age. I guess not so crazy since babies already are doing sign language at his age or a little older. Unrelated, I think he's starting to make the sign for milk as well, but I'm not sure. I've seen him do it but not sure if it's necessarily when he wants to nurse.

I used a cotton Tushies diaper a friend gave me for the car ride. It worked well - I just opened it and stuck Elie's penis out the corner and he peed onto a cloth diaper. The only problem was that the stickiness of the tab was totally gone by the end of the day. I wonder if they do that on purpose so people don't reuse the diapers? Seems weird that they can't use better tape. Or maybe usually it just isn't needed and people prefer to be able to get them off easily.

No comments: