What is Elimination Communication?

Elimination Communication (EC) is an ancient practice of tuning in to a baby's elimination patterns and signals and responding to the baby's needs.  In this way, babies can live diaper-free!  Might sound crazy at first, but it's truly a beautiful thing!  Ingrid Bauer is an expert in the field - read more on her website.


Elie at 8 weeks

Elie at 8 weeks

Monday, January 28, 2008

8 Weeks

Today I caught all pees/poops from 8AM until 3:30PM. Over a 14 hour period, I missed 3 and caught 15. Not bad.

Main signals are: Fidgety; Fussy; Crying; If sleeping prior to peeing, sometimes he just wakes and pees and other times he nurses first and then pees a few minutes later.
Signals are really the same for pees and poops except that for a poop, Elie *tends* to be more agitated and sometimes passes gas.

Occasionally, I really see no signals for pees and I miss. These times, he seems very calm and relaxed to me and I really do not pick up on any signals (yet). Once today, he seemed to pee in his sleep, but he must have awoken and peed without any obvious signals.

These are my detailed notes for today (misses are labeled as such). I held him all day.
fidgety, fussy
9:02AM - pee
agitated
9:32AM - pee
fidgety
9:52AM - pee
crying
10:22AM - pee
sleep in wrap, woke up, fidgety, then nursed
12:08PM - pee, then poop
fidgety
12:40PM - pee
sleep in wrap, woke up, nurse, burp
2:15PM - pee
sleep in wrap, woke up, nursed, almost fell back to sleep
3PM - pee
3:30PM - pee - MISS - was sleeping, stirred, peed and went back to sleep
fussy, fidgety
4:12PM - pee
sleep in wrap, woke up, nursed, after a few mins
5:15PM - pee
still fidgety
5:23PM - pee
6PM - pee - MISS - very calm, peed sitting in my lap
6:15PMish - pee - MISS - I was putting Yoav to sleep - Elie was agitated and I would have peed him if I could
slightly fidgety
6:35PM - pee
crying
7:35PM - pee
fidgety
8:20PM - pee
sleep, shift around
11:00PM - pee
still fidgety, poop a few mins later in BB insert

No comments: