What is Elimination Communication?

Elimination Communication (EC) is an ancient practice of tuning in to a baby's elimination patterns and signals and responding to the baby's needs.  In this way, babies can live diaper-free!  Might sound crazy at first, but it's truly a beautiful thing!  Ingrid Bauer is an expert in the field - read more on her website.


Elie at 8 weeks

Elie at 8 weeks

Thursday, February 14, 2008

EC Update - 10 Weeks

* Age of EC tot: 10 weeks

* We started at...1.5 weeks, cueing from birth

* Generally speaking we are doing...pretty well. If I'm able to focus, I can catch most pees/poops. He's pooping about twice a day now.

* How do you know your baby has to go / when do you offer baby a wee?

timing: Just after waking up, he likes to nurse and pee (usually he wants to nurse first). Generally, when he's awake, he pees about every 30 mins, a bit less in the evenings. However, he has gone for up to four hours when he's in a wrap (even if he's not asleep the whole time).

signs: he will fidget and not want to nurse. if I miss the fidgeting, he will sometimes start to cry.

* Is there a difference for poos and pees? What cues do you use?

I say psshhh for both pee and poop. I think the signs are very similar. He gets a little more squirmy for poop and sometimes I can feel his tummy rumbling before a poop or some gas ;)

* Which positions/receptacles do you use?

Insert for Baby Bjorn potty with my hand in position as an extra splash guard.

* Nappies, training pants or other?

Flats and prefolds with EC belt

* What are you doing away from home?

Same dipes but with a wool cover.

* What are you doing at night?

Generally now Elie sleeps diaper free on a bed consisting of a lambskin blanket, 1-2 towels, a soft thin baby blanket, a few prefolds in the pee area, then Elie, then a prefold over his penis and a wool blanket on top. If he pees on a pfold, I swap it out for another one/s. I have been mostly taking him to pee in the bathroom - either in the BB insert or tub so I can nurse him and pee him w/out (hopefully) waking up Yoav.

* Who takes baby to the toilet?

Me

* Catches or Misses - how many and what times are especially interesting?

Most days I only have 2-3 misses. At night, 0 misses to all. Some nights I'm less tired and can catch most pees, other nights, I'm so tired I miss them all. Also, sometimes I think/know he needs to go but don't want to/can't break from Yoav and he goes in the dipe.

* What's your next EC goal? (& how did you go with your last goal?)

I've done well on the last goal - I do a lot of diaper free time at home or at least just w/ a pfold around him, like when he's in a wrap, so I don't risk getting poop on a nice wrap! He is almost always diaper free at night. See above.

Current goal is to catch more at night.

No comments: